Thursday, July 30, 2015

An Experience


“So how was your first year?”

Whenever I was asked this question I would respond, “It was great!” Then I would proceed to list off my evidence as to why my freshman year of college was great. I met some really nice people, people with very different perspectives than mine that opened my eyes. I learned a ton, and was challenged, but didn’t die. Being a commuter was actually really awesome because I didn’t have to deal with dorming and could sleep whenever I wanted and eat home-cooked meals. I also got to stay in touch with a lot of my friends that stayed in town.

I think most people’s response when asked about their first year is pretty similar to mine. All of our first years were great! At this point, it’s like a conditioned response. It had to be great, because no one wants to hear otherwise, right? And if it wasn’t great, why would I tell you that? I don’t want a pity-party. I want to be able to tell you that it was great, that I did awesome things, and got that internship, and yea, I did go to that party. Aren’t you so happy for me?

But here’s the part where we run into trouble. It’s the summer after our first year, we are seeing people that we hadn’t seen in months, and you ask them, “How was your first year?” And what do they tell you?

“It was great!”

Then they list all the great things they did their first year of college, and your thinking, well crap. Their year sounds awesome. I didn’t go to Mexico for Spring Break. I didn’t slip and slide down the hallway of my dorm. I didn’t go to my homecoming football game or meet 30 of my best friends in my awesome new sorority.

I can count the number of friends I made my freshman year on one hand. I didn’t go to any parties. I was actually pretty reclusive, being a commuter. I didn’t want to have to drive out there more than I had to, so I didn’t join any clubs. My best friend moved across the country and keeping in touch with her was really hard, and I missed her a lot. Classes would become difficult, I would be tired, have a pain in the butt teacher that doesn’t know how to use Blackboard, be overloaded with work, and come weekend I was ready for a girl’s night and my girl was in a different time zone. I would forget to eat. My piano didn’t get its fair share of action, and it wasn’t the only keyboard that was getting dusty. I didn’t write not only because of a lack of time but a lack of inspiration. My second semester was an emotional roller coaster, with Organic Chemistry almost gutting me of all my carbon-based energy sources and I think I might have actually been a little depressed for a little while there.

But we don’t say all that, do we? Our freshman years were awesome. Mine was great. And yours was just as “great” as mine.

“So what is the college experience? What is it like?”

To all those heading off in a few weeks for their freshman year, don’t let this discourage you. This wasn’t meant to be a discouragement, but an encouragement. You’re freshman year will be a change, and most likely a good one with lots of firsts and beautiful memories made. Mine definitely was that. But your freshman year will not be perfect, it will be about as perfect as anyone’s freshman year is. You will come home for winter break and people will ask you how your first semester went. And you will answer them that it was great. And sometimes it will be difficult to come up with your evidence of why it was great.

But take courage, because everyone’s freshman year was just as “great” as yours. You’re not alone in that. People hype up the college experience, and I think that’s not really fair to do. College is an experience. And that is all.

The best that we can do is enjoy what we can enjoy, and accept what we can't as just a part of it.

~Kat

No comments:

Post a Comment